Posted by: plbh88 | 23/07/2010

This weekend

Just to update on my current plans, this weekend I am going to Chantilly to meet with my supervisor from my job at the American Embassy in Paris. She is the president and founder of the American Friends of Chantilly, and has agreed to introduce me to two people part of the château staff who will show me the kennels that are part of the domain’s famous stables. This is an amazing opportunity as they are not normally visitable and will help give more context to my analysis of the vanished Versailles kennels. Built between 1719 and 1735 for the duc de Bourbon, a cousin of the king and prince of the Blood, the structure held 240 horses and 500 dogs and was also the scene of royal receptions in honor of Louis XV, Frederick the Great, and the future tsar Peter I. It is still used today as a stable and houses an equestrian museum.

The kennels at Chantilly, along with the rest of the complex, were state-of-the-art for the eighteenth century. With specially-designed spaces to accomodate dogs according to the type of game they hunted, they also housed the various valets and even a bakery.

Hallali du cerf dans les Grandes Ecuries le 13 septembre 1776, Nicolas-Anne Dubois, 1780, musée Condé, Chantilly

Leave a response

Your response:

Categories